Woman's Face Will Never Be The Same Again After Being Set On Fire In Philadelphia Park

Alyssa Morales, 36, was set on fire in a park in Philadelphia in a horrific attack that has left her in a medically induced coma. Although she will survive, her family has said, "she will never have the face she was born with".

Alyssa Morales, 36, was set on fire in a brutal attack in Philadelphia
Alyssa Morales, 36, was set on fire in a brutal attack in Philadelphia

36-year-old Alyssa Morales was the victim of a barbaric attack in a park in Philadelphia just before midnight on Thursday, 16 June.

Ms Morales suffered second and third-degree burns over more than 50% of her body and now faces skin grafts and months of rehabilitation.

6ABC reported how emergency services found Ms Morales set alight when they responded to reports of a rubbish fire in Harrowgate Park. The victim was taken to Temple University Hospital where she remains in a medically induced coma.

A family friend said: "She was in too much pain to identify herself when she arrived at the hospital, and was listed as a Jane Doe for two days before her family was able to see her."

A fundraising page set up by her friend said Ms Morales, known by her family and friends as "Bre", had battled with drug addiction for 14 years and was homeless at the time of the attack.

It said: "She has tried to get clean several times, but still hasn't been able to conquer her demons. Even in the darkest days of her addiction, Alyssa would never physically harm anyone but herself. "No matter what people may think of those who battle addiction, no human being should ever have to endure what Alyssa has endured. No one should have to deal with the struggles that lie ahead for her. It's going to be a long, hard road to recovery and Alyssa will never be the same again."

A video circulated on social media showing Ms Morales on the ground on fire as several passersby approached. She was lying face down and could be heard screaming in pain.

In the video, one person is heard on the phone with emergency services. "Somebody set her on fire, she's got blood, burnt, she's bleeding a whole lot - please hurry up," the man said.

Leah Ann Morales, Alyssa's mother, confirmed to CBS News that it was her daughter in the video.

Her mother said: "I watched the first three seconds when I knew it was her and I couldn't watch anymore.

"You know it's your daughter, and you know she's burned, and then you're just like, 'she needs help, can somebody help her?' and I found out on the internet."

Leah Ann told CBS that her daughter was going to survive but "she'll have permanent damage".

She added: "I'm saying it, she'll never have the face she was born with, and they said that's the hard part when she can look in the mirror and see a different face looking back at her."

On Wednesday police said that the attack happened during an argument. Witnesses told police that Ms Morales was with an unidentified man in the park when they started arguing with another woman, the woman then poured flammable liquid on Ms Morales and set her on fire.

Nigerian Politician And His Wife Charged With Plotting To Harvest A Child's Organs In The UK


Thanks for subscribing!