David Parker Ray: The Horrifying Story Of Rape, Torture and Murder By The "Toy Box Killer"

Updated: May 31

David Parker Ray, the "Toy Box Killer" is suspected of torturing, raping, and murdering over 50 women in his soundproof torture chamber trailer. One of the most disturbing serial killer, and sex offender cases in recent times.

Toy Box Killer David Parker Ray
David Parker Ray is believed to be responsible for the murder and torture of over 50 women

On March 19, 1999, a 22-year-old woman by the name of Cynthia Vigil was working as a sex worker in a car park in Alburquerque, New Mexico, when she was approached by a man who claimed to be an undercover police officer, he told her that she was being arrested for solicitation of sex work and put into the back of his car.

“He told me I was under arrest and he put handcuffs on me,” Vigil said.

The man was no police officer, it was David Parker Ray, he drove Vigil to his close by soundproof trailer that he referred to as his "Toy Box."

A terrified Vigil was then chained to what she described as a gynecologist-style table that was in the middle of his trailer, and over the course of the next three days, she was raped and horrifically tortured by Ray and his girlfriend Cindy Hendy.

Both of them proceeded to torture Vigil with sexual instruments, electric shock devices, medical equipment, and whips.

Before the sickening acts of torture would begin, Ray would make Vigil listen to a cassette recording that would detail exactly what would happen to her during their session.

The cassette would also explain that Vigil was only to ever refer to him as "master" and that Hendy must only be called "mistress" and that she should not ever speak unless she was spoken to first. The cassette explained the explicit details of exactly how they would torture and rape her.

"The way he talked, I didn’t feel like this was his first time," Vigil said in a later interview. "It was like he knew what he was doing. He told me I was never going to see my family again. He told me he would kill me like the others."

On the third day of Vigil being detained, Ray was out at work and Hendy had left the keys to Vigil's restraints on a table that was close to where she was chained up, when Hendy left the room, Vigil quickly took a lunge for the keys and managed to get her hands free. Hendy returned and made an attempt to stop her, however, Vigil stabbed her in the neck with an ice pick when she got close enough.

Vigil fled from the trailer completely naked, wearing only the padlocked chains and a slave collar. She managed to make her way to a nearby mobile home where the owner took her inside and called the police, who arrived quickly and arrested both Ray and Hendy.

Cynthia Virgil Toy Box Killer Victim
Cynthia Virgil talks to reporters about the rape and torture at the hands of the Toy Box Killer

Background of David Parker Ray

David Parker Ray was born in Belen, New Mexico in 1939. Not much is known about his childhood other than he lived with his grandfather but saw his father on a regular basis, his father is known to have beat him.

As he grew up, Ray was often on the receiving end of bullying, mainly because of how shy he was whilst in the company of girls. The insecurities that this caused pushed Ray to heavily abuse drink and drugs.

He also served in the U.S. Military, being given an honourable discharge at the end of his period of service. We also know that Ray was married and divorced four times throughout his adult life.

The horrific crimes that Ray is believed to have committed didn't come to light until the escape of Cynthia Virgil, however, it is believed that his sick spree of torture and murder began sometime in the mid-1950s.

David Parker Ray trailer
Inside the trailer of torture owned by David Parker Ray which he called his "Toy Box"

Inside David Parker Ray's "Toy Box"

Following on from the arrest of Ray, the police were granted a warrant to search his home and trailer, what they found was more disturbing than you would ever believe. As Vigil had described, inside the trailer was a gynecologist-style table in the middle with a mirror fastened to the ceiling, which would ensure the victims had to watch the horrifying torture that was being done to them. The floor was covered with saws, surgical blades, leg spreader bars, clamps, straps, chains, and whips as well as a huge assortment of various different styles of sex toys.

There was also a piece of wooden equipment that was used to bend over his victims, making them immobile while he would proceed to rape them.

Pinned up on the walls around the trailer were posters with detailed diagrams showing various techniques that could be used for inflicting pain on his victims.

While the police were searching the "Toy Box Killer's" trailer they found a videotape from 1996 that showed the horrendous scene of an unknown, terrified woman being raped and tortured by Ray and his girlfriend.

The press quickly got wind of the story and with that came a huge amount of publicity surrounding the arrest of David Parker Ray, which led to another woman coming forward with a similar story to that of Cynthia Vigil.

Angelica Montano, a woman who had known Ray, told the police how she had visited his house to borrow some cake mix before he had drugged, raped, and tortured her and left her for dead by the highway out in the desert. Montano was picked up by police but there had been no follow-up on her case.

Ray would frequently use drugs on his victims that would cause memory loss and amnesia, such as sodium pentothal and phenobarbital, this would result in the women not having a vivid recollection of what had actually happened to them.

Now the police had the testimony of two victims, the case against Ray grew much stronger and the police were able to put pressure on Hendy, who quickly folded and started telling the police everything she knew about the murders. The statements given by Hendy led the police to discover that Ray had been assisted in the abductions and murders by his own daughter, Glenda "Jesse" Ray, and a friend, Dennis Roy Yancy.

Glenda Jesse Ray, Toy Box Killer
Glenda "Jesse" Ray, the daughter of David Parker Ray admitted to being involved with his crimes

Yancy admitted to police that he participated in the murder of a woman called Marie Parker, who was abducted, drugged, and tortured for several days by Ray and his daughter, before Yancy strangled her to death in 1997.

Kelli Garrett, The Rape Victim In The Video

Police released some details about the woman that was in the video discovered in Ray's trailer, she was identified by her ex-mother-in-law as Kelly Garrett, who was a previous friend of David Parker Ray's daughter.

On July 24, 1996, Kelli Garrett got into an argument with her then-husband and proceeded to spend the night playing pool with Jesse Ray at a local saloon.

Jesse had spiked Garrett's beer with roofies before her father had attached a dog collar and leash to her and dragged her back to his trailer.

While being held captive at his "Toy Box" trailer, Ray tortured and raped her for two days, whilst keeping her under the influence of date-rape drugs the entire time, two days later when he had grown "bored" with her, Ray slit her throat and dumped her body on the side of a road.

Somehow, Garrett managed to survive the horrendous ordeal but unfortunately, no one believed her story, the police and her husband both thought she was lying, her husband was convinced she had cheated on him that night and filed for a divorce the same year.

Suffering from the effects of the drugs that she was plied with, Garrett had a limited recollection of the exact events that she had been made to endure, but she did remember being raped by David Parker Ray.

David Parker Ray Trial Photos
David Parker Ray "Toy Box Killer" (right) during his murder trial

The implications of the drugs in their system as well as the socioeconomic standing of many of the women involved in the case made it difficult for jurors to readily accept their testimony. David Parker Ray managed to win two of the cases put against him at trial, however, the "Toy Box Killer" was sentenced to 224 years in prison for the numerous offenses that were involved in the abduction and sexual torture of these three women.

Cindy Hendy was sentenced to 36 years in prison, whilst Jesse Ray received a sentence of 9 years in prison.

On May 28, 2002, just three years into his 224-year sentence, David Parker Ray died of a heart attack.

How Many More Victims Are There?

During the investigation of David Parker Ray, police found evidence of even more victims than we currently know of, they found a lot of personal effects from different women in his trailer as well as a diary written by Ray where he detailed the murders and torture of at least 50 other women. Despite this evidence, the authorities were unable to build cases against him for them without hard evidence from the victims.

Yancy and Hendy both told the police of areas where they believed Ray had disposed of further bodies, but the police failed to find any human remains at any of the locations.

The police strongly believe that the "Toy Box Killer," is responsible for many more murders than he was ever charged with, unfortunately, since his death, it is a likely possibility that the true extent of his crimes will never be known.

Now you have read the story of the Toy Box Killer, make sure you check out the story of Yoo Young-chul, the Raincoat Killer.


Thanks for subscribing!