Doctor Who Lied About His Age Jailed For 3 Years After Botched Procedure Killed Mother-Of-Three

A doctor has been jailed for three years for negligent manslaughter after killing a mother-of-three in a botched procedure during a routine hospital appointment to take samples.

Isyaka Mammam was hailed for three years at Manchester Crown Court
Isyaka Mammam was jailed for three years at Manchester Crown Court

85-year-old Dr Isyaka Mamman had already been suspended after lying about his age. His colleagues thought he should have retired after botching similar procedures before the fatal incident which resulted in the death of a mother-of-three.

The Nigerian-born doctor was 81 years old at the time of the incident, where he carried out the "highly dangerous" procedure using the wrong needle and inserting it in the wrong place, Mamman pieced Shahida Parveen's heart sac, the victim had gone to an appointment at the Royal Oldham Hospital to provide a bone marrow sample. Mrs Parveen, 48, and her husband, both asked Dr Mamman to abort the treatment, however, he continued to persist with it, resulting in the woman dying later that same day, September 3, 2018.

Mamman showed no reaction when he was jailed at Manchester Crown Court for gross negligence manslaughter, his family could be seen weeping in the public gallery. The judge, Mrs Justice Yip, criticised both Mamman and the hospital trust that employed him, saying there is a "troubling background" to the case with the doctor's age and two earlier critical incidents that happened in 2015.

She said: "It is hard to understand why these incidents did not lead to your retirement. "Equally it is difficult to see why the trust did not do more and why you were allowed to continue to work.

"Sadly there were failings in the system. "It is very sad to see a long career in medicine end in such dreadful circumstances."

The court had been told earlier how Ms Parveen had gone into the hospital with her husband, Khizar Mahmood, for investigations into possible myeloproliferative disorder.

Andrew Thomas QC, prosecuting, told the court that it was decided that a bone marrow biopsy should be carried out and the routine procedure was allocated to Mamman, who was working as a specialty doctor in haematology.

Usually, bone marrow samples are collected from the hip bone, however, Mamman failed to obtain a sample on the first attempt. He then attempted a rare and "highly dangerous" procedure of taking a sample from the patient's sternum - despite both the victim and her husband objecting to the idea.

Mamman used the wrong biopsy needle to carry out the procedure, he missed the bone, and instead pieced her pericardium, the sac containing the heart, causing massive internal bleeding.

Mr Mahmood told of how his wife lost consciousness the moment the needle was inserted, and how he ran from the room shouting: "He killed her."

"I told him to stop three times and he did not listen. He killed her," he said.

Mamman qualified as a doctor in Nigeria in 1965 and worked in the UK since 1991. From 2004 until the time of the fatal incident he was employed by the Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.

The doctor had previously been fired for lying about his age
The doctor who lied about his age was convicted of gross negligence manslaughter

However, the court heard how his "true age" was a matter of "controversy", as where he was born in rural Nigeria had no system of birth registration. During his medical training, he gave a date of birth of September 16, 1936, which meant that he would have been 21 when he started his medical training and 81 at the time of the fatal incident.

Mammam had knocked years off his age by providing the NHS with a birth date in 1941, suggesting that his medical degree started at the age of 16 in Nigeria. Around 2001, when Mammam would have been approaching the retirement age of 65, he gave himself an even later date of birth - October 1947 - which he then used in an application for naturalisation as a British Citizen - suggesting he started his degree course at the age of 10.

In 2004 he was found guilty of serious professional misconduct by the General Medical Council (GMC) for lying about his age and was suspended for 12 months.

The Pennine Trust sacked him after this but then re-employed him in 2006 after he had been restored to the register by the GMC, who accepted his birth date to be 1943 - which would have meant he was 14 or 15 when he started his medical degree.

Dr Chris Brookes from the Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust, which now runs the Oldham Royal Hospital, said: "We wish again to offer our sincerest condolences to Mrs Parveen's family and friends and we are deeply sorry for their loss. "We would like to reiterate our sincere apology previously provided to Mrs Parveen's family. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to them. "The Trust has admitted liability in relation to a civil claim brought by the family."

Notorious Wildlife Trophy Hunter Riaan Naude Gunned Down In "Execution Style" Killing


Thanks for subscribing!