Homophobic Murder Of Gary Jenkins: A Girl And Two Men Handed Life Sentences For Brutal Killing

A 17-year-old girl and two men have all been sentenced to life behind bars for the unprovoked, homophobic murder of Gary Jenkins in Cardiff, Wales, last year.

Gary Jenkins Murderers
(Left to right) Lee Strickland, Jason Edwards and Dionne Timms-Williams. Photo Credit - South Wales Police

A 17-year-old girl and two men have been sentenced to life in prison for the brutal homophobic murder of Dr Gary Jenkins, a consultant psychiatrist from Cardiff, south-east Wales.

Mr Jenkins, a father of two, was tortured by the trio who kicked him and punched him, and stamped on his head for up to 28 minutes while he begged them to stop.

During the sadistic attack and robbery in Bute Park, Cardiff, 54-year-old Jenkins was subject to homophobic abuse. After the attack, Dionne Timms-Williams, who was 16 at the time of the murder and had not previously known her fellow attackers, said: "I needed that."

Judge Williams who sentenced the trio at Cardiff crown court said, Jason Edwards, Lee Strickland, and Dionne Timms-Williams went to the park looking for a homosexual man to rob. Williams said that the savage attack was homophobic and each of them was equally to blame.

Judge Williams paid tribute to Dr Jenkins, saying: "The world is drabber for his passing, it's less kind, less colourful. He gave his professional life to relieve suffering of others and he went the extra mile for his patients."

Both Edwards and Strickland will each serve a minimum term of 33 years in prison before they are eligible for parole. Timms-Williams, 17, will have to serve 18 years before she can be considered for parole. All three will spend the rest of their lives on licence.

Murder of Gary Jenkins
Gary Jenkins was targeted in an unprovoked homophobic attack

In a victim impact statement, Jenkins' wife, Maria, said he would never have hurt anyone. "Gary was smart and funny, the heart and soul of every party," she said. "He was an incredibly generous and creative man with only good intentions. The reality of his torture and death has hit us hard."

She added that Jenkins' young daughters' lives had been "massively" affected. "They are struggling in areas where they were thriving, such as their education and emotional state. All of us have nightmares and daytime flashbacks." She added: "The loss of many more years and happy times Gary could have had with his daughters has been very distressing. Gary had so much more of his life to live."

"Gary's private life being put on display has only intensified the impact. It has been horrible to have to listen to the details of what happened. Gary's death has also had an impact on his patients. He was a dedicated and hard-working doctor. He always went the extra mile. He is greatly missed by his colleagues and patients. There are no winners in this case, only losers."

Louis Williams, a passerby who went to Jenkins' aid, said in his impact statement that he regretted not being a better fighter so he could have done more to help. He said he now lives in fear for his own family's safety, and that the involvement of Timms-Williams made him question whether there was something seriously wrong in society.

Caroline Rees QC, for Timms-Williams, said she had experienced trauma that had led to having drink and drug problems. She denied that she was homophobic and said that she had shown remorse. Rees said the girl, who was 16-years-old at the time, lived with her mother in a village in the Vale of Glamorgan, and had not met the two male attackers before and was vulnerable. The court heard how in 2019 she had received a police caution for possessing a blade.

Edwards has 35 previous criminal convictions while Strickland has 58, though neither of them had ever been found guilty of serious violence before. Both of the men had alcohol and drugs problems and the judge said neither of them had shown any remorse.

The jury heard that Jenkins, a bi-sexual man, had separated from his wife six years before his murder and moved back to his home city of Cardiff.

Jenkins was in the park in the early hours of July 20 last year when the three, who had all been drinking heavily, attacked him without provocation.

Audio of part of the attack was recorded by a CCTV camera in a shuttered cafe. He could be heard crying out: "Please help me" and repeatedly calling out: "Stop it" and "Why?" One of the men could be heard shouting homophobic abuse at the victim while one said: "Stamp on his head."

After the brutal attack, Edwards and Timms-Williams embraced. Strickland bought a bottle of whisky using a bank card he had stolen from Jenkins.

Timms-Williams appeared happy and remorseless, she contacted her mother to say she did not need picking up and stayed the night with a friend.

Man In Peru Accidently Shoots Dead His Accomplice During Attempted Robbery.


Thanks for subscribing!