Jealous Man Jailed For 18 Years For Slashing His Lottery Winner Partner 7 Times In The Face

A man with a previous conviction for stabbing a child has been jailed for 18 years for the attempted murder of his partner in Wales, UK.

Stephen Gibbs, Barry, Wales
Stephen Gibbs has been jailed for 18 years for the brutal attack on his partner Emma Brown

45-year-old Stephen Gibbs attacked his girlfriend of 11 years, Emma Brown, in their home that they shared in Lakeside, Barry, Wales on 30th January this year.

The court heard how the couple's relationship had gone downhill after Ms Brown had won a multimillion-pound sum on the lottery in 2017.

Gibbs became increasingly controlling and paranoid over his "outgoing" partner, it was even discovered after the attack that he had installed a tracking device in her car.

Initially, Gibbs had denied the charge of attempted murder, but he changed his plea to guilty on the first day of his trial which started in September.

Gibbs had a track record of knife crime, he had previously been jailed for six years after stabbing a former partner's 11-year-old son six times with a kitchen knife.

At his sentencing hearing at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court on Monday, Prosecutor Leuan Bennett said: "The victim started dating the defendant in 2010".

"The dynamics of the relationship changed permanently when in 2017 she had the good fortune of winning the National Lottery and in fact won a considerable amount of money.”

Mr Bennett said: “It seems the defendant had more of an issue of her being in control of her own life."

He continued: "She had dreams of travelling the world but due to the fact the defendant didn’t like travelling abroad she never realised these dreams, and that must have caused some difficulties with their relationship."

The court heard that Ms Brown owned the home that she and Gibbs lived in, as well as a number of other local properties that she had invested in.

The prosecution explained that Gibbs had been extremely paranoid about the relationship Ms Brown had with an old friend from school who was a tenant in one of her properties, once threatening to "cut the man's throat."

On the night of the attack, Ms Brown had driven to the home of her cleaner to deliver a birthday card, returning home at approximately 8 pm, Gibbs had accused her of visiting her old school friend.

It was then that Ms Brown told Gibbs that their relationship was over, causing him to fly into a fit of rage and throw her against a wall.

Ms Brown recalled how Gibbs choked her and dragged her outside before returning with a large kitchen knife. Initially, he had threatened to slit his own throat before straddling his partner and slashing her seven times across the face.

Ms Brown was found in a pool of blood by a neighbour who called the police and ambulance services.

The victim had suffered multiple lacerations to her face, bruising to her body, a fractured arm, she has also partially lost sight in her right eye as well as only having very limited sensation in her face.

After the vicious attack, Gibbs fled the scene in his car before calling a friend and telling her: "I’ve done something stupid, I’ve stabbed Emma – I found out she’d been messing around, cheating on me – I lost it and stabbed her in the face."

He told her he had taken a lot of pills and was feeling drowsy, adding: "I think I’ve killed her."

In a victim impact statement, Ms Brown said Gibbs had never previously been violent towards her and she had suffered a huge loss of confidence in the wake of the attack.

She said she now struggles to socialise, adding: "It has completely ruined my self-confidence, I am also suffering from self-doubt because I trusted him."

"We were together for years and I can’t believe he was able to deceive me, I never thought he would do something like this but he did and I can’t even contemplate opening myself up to trust someone else."

It was during the investigation that police discovered the tracking device that Gibbs had fitted to the car of Ms Brown.

The court heard Gibbs had been sentenced to six years in prison and four years on licence in July 2005 for stabbing his former partner’s 11-year-old son six times with an 8-inch kitchen knife.

After leaving Gibbs, the woman had driven her son to his property so he could pick up some belongings and waited outside in the car.

Gibbs knifed the child in his home, then went outside, smashed in his ex-partner’s car window, and stabbed the woman in the thigh.

In the immediate aftermath of the 2005 attack, Gibbs attempted to take his own life.

Jailing Gibbs for 18 years, Judge Richard Twomlow said: "This offence has a number of aggravating features – being in the victim’s own home, the fact you simply left her there and drove away, and your previous convictions for similar behaviour."

"I am also of the view that because of your previous convictions of this type you pose a serious risk of further harm."

Gibbs was told that he must serve two-thirds of his sentence in custody, instead of the usual half, and would serve an additional licence period of five years.

Now you have read this story, don't forget to check out the Russian cannibal killer who got arrested after a headless corpse fell from his vehicle.


Thanks for subscribing!