Thug Jailed For Assaulting Three Police Officers Hours After Being In Court On Similar Charges

A violent thug has been jailed for assaulting three police officers just hours after appearing in court for assaulting medical staff.

The Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle upon Tyne
The Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle upon Tyne

Patricia Hewitt had already been jailed earlier this year for attacking a police officer and was handed a community order on July 21 for assaulting another. However, undeterred and just several hours after leaving the courtroom, the 38-year-old started lashing out at staff while in a hospital waiting room. A court heard how, just after appearing in court, Hewitt was taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI), in Newcastle city centre, where she "out of nowhere" became abusive and aggressive towards medical staff and police. Prosecutors said that Hewitt kicked two officers in the legs, leaving one with severe bruising.

Police arrested Hewitt and put her in a cell at Forth Banks Police Station, where she attacked another officer while they were performing a welfare check on her, striking them to the side of the head.

Hewitt, of no fixed address, appeared at North Tyneside Magistrates' Court to plead guilty to three counts of assaulting an emergency worker, a public order offence, and a separate criminal damage offence.

Jailing her for 36 weeks, District Judge Zeo Passfield, said: "The assaults were committed on the very day you had been to court and had been given a community order for assaulting an emergency worker.

"You were also on post-sentence supervision for a prison sentence for assaulting an emergency worker. Immediate custody is my only available sentence."

The court was told how Hewitt had been taken to the RVI after the July 21 court appearance and was accompanied by police officers.

Elizabeth Winchester, prosecuting, said: "While in the hospital, she became verbally aggressive, shouting at officers and staff and telling them to f*** off. "All that while in a waiting room full of people. Due to her behaviour, officers attempted to handcuff the defendant. She resisted and kicked out a female officer, striking her in the leg. "Officers have then attempted to transport her to custody. She was again aggressive, shouting 'ginger-haired c***'. She kicked out again and struck another officer in the leg, causing bruising."

Hewitt was then placed in a cell at Forth Banks police station.

When a detention officer opened the door hatch to check on her, she struck him on the side of his head with her palm.

Mark Styles, defending, said Hewitt, who has 94 previous offences on her record, was self-medicating past drug issues and was apologetic about the way she acted. Mr Styles added: "All the offences were committed while she was not in receipt of her medication. She has no recollection of the incidents at the RVI or at Forth Banks."

Liverpool Man In Court After Punching Boy, 12, Who Threw Eggs At His Car


Thanks for subscribing!