Two Teenagers Murdered 14-Year-Old Schoolboy With A Sword Hidden In A Walking Stick

The Old Bailey has heard how two teenagers armed with a sword concealed within a walking stick brutally murdered an unarmed schoolboy in broad daylight.

Fares Maatou murder
Fares Maatou was stabbed to death in Canning Town, east London, in April last year

The 14-year-old victim, Fares Maatou, was allegedly set upon by two teenagers following a confrontation involving a larger group in Barking Road, Canning Town, east London, on the afternoon of Friday, April 23, last year.

Prosecutor Julian Evans QC told the Old Bailey how the victim "offered no threat at all" to the suspects and had tried to escape from them.

Fares was killed by a single 4.3in (11cm) stab wound to the left side of his upper back, inflicted by a sword that was stolen from the grandfather of the second defendant and given to the first defendant, then 15, to use to attack Fares, the court heard.

Jurors then heard how the second defendant, then aged 14, beat Fares with the sheath, before both teenagers - neither of whom can be named because of their age - fled the scene.

The entire attack was caught on CCTV. Mr Evans told the court how Fares had stepped back when the older defendant pulled out the sword. He said: "Both of Fares' hands were in front of him at waist height, he was not holding anything. "He was completely unarmed.

"Fares offered no threat at all to the first boy, armed with a sword and advancing towards him, nor did he offer any threat at all to the second boy, who was now carrying the sheath and was also moving forward towards Fares."

"The older boy then lunged at Fares - the first of three such attempted blows with the sword - while the younger boy swung the sheath", he added.

Mr Evans continued: "Fares reacted by bringing both of his hands up towards his face and head to protect himself. "As he, Fares, tried to escape, he turned his back on the defendants and he, Fares, moved away.

"Despite that action, the defendants continued to attack him."

The court heard how the older defendant lunged at Fares two more times, Fares then attempted to run away but slipped, and both defendants continued to attack him.

Fares managed briefly to get to his feet once the attack stopped, but he lost his footing again and fell against a parked car nearby.

14-year-old Fares Maatou was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr Evans added: "Fares posed them no threat at all. He was unarmed. He displayed no aggression towards them. He did nothing to threaten them."

Both defendants, who are now both 16 years old, deny murder, they both claim they were acting in self-defence.

Man Arrested After Mother And Her 5-Year-Old Daughter Stabbed To Death In Barnet, London


Thanks for subscribing!